December 5, 2009

Holiday Cheer - Pumpkin Muffins

Today, I have a good friend sharing her recipe for Pumpkin Muffins (I'm keeping quiet about the 'gluten-free,' part....I want ya'll come check out the post at least...lol). Please welcome Skhye Moncrief, who is also sharing information about her HUGE DECEMBER PRIZE BASKET:

Thanks for having me swing by, Anna K. I'm a big tweaker of recipes. Probably because I am picky and/or don't mind chemistry in the kitchen. But before I reveal the muffin that will win you praise this holiday, I'd like to invite everyone to enter to win my huge prize...

1 box GOOD MEDICINE Native American herbal tea (in honor of the Native-American
hero of my novel FORBIDDEN ETERNITY)

2 vials cinnamon oil (flavoring guaranteed to spice up baked goods that's
reminiscent of a Time Guardian Ring Master, i.e. dragon's breath. Use with
caution.)

1 Voodoo Doll Little Wizard keychain (Little Wizard can help acheive a goal in
school or work. He can help dreams come true, but only for someone else. He can
not help his owner. HE OF THE FIERY SWORD's King Arthur could have used one!)

1 AN ENGLISH LADYMASS: MEDIEVAL CHANT AND POLYPHONY album by Anonymous 4 (for the medieval period feel)

1 SCOTTISH TEATIME RECIPES (To reproduce a bit of SWORDSONG ambiance; ISBN:
1-898935-18-9)

The wee-est scrimshaw sailing-ship pendant (For those Time-Guardian wannabes
like Twila Deeds in SACRIFICIAL HEARTS yearning for a journey through time and
across space...)

Join me at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skhyemoncrief/ to enter. ;) Now to win you some attention at your holiday gatherings.

This is a recipe I found at Karina's Kitchen, http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/11/pumpkin-berry-muffins.html. As always, I do things my way. Sometimes I think I should just shoot myself for being so hard-headed. But my thoughts paid off on this venture after I was informed I needed to ditch wheat products to attempt to heal my fibromyalgia. So, this is my modified version of Karina's recipe:

GLUTEN-FREE PUMPKIN MUFFINS

Mix in a bowl:
1 c. veg. oil
1 can pumpkin
1/2 c. molasses
1 1/2 c. brown sugar (don't pack it)
2 t. vanilla
1 t. nutmeg, allspice, cloves, ginger, and pumpkin pie spice
2 t. cinnamon
8-9 T. apple juice

Mix in another bowl:
1 c.. brown rice flour
1 c. cornstarch
1 c. soy flour
1 t. salt
5 t. baking powder
2 T. milled flaxseed

Slowly blend the dry stuff into the wet stuff.

Add 1/8th c. cornmeal + enough oats to equal one cup
1/2 c. dried cranberries.
1/2 cup walnuts

Spoon batter into muffin tins with liners. Batter should not quite reach the top of each liner. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Nobody will know you're feeding them a vegetable, Omega-3s, fiber, and fruit! Note, I always double the spices in any pumpkin recipe or add a few to get the flavor or our family friend's pumpkin bread baked in those large coffee cans... ;) ~Skhye

Tomorrow's Recipe: Santa Squares

Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love! ~Hamilton Wright Mabie

11 comments:

Jane Richardson said...

Hiya Skhye! A member of my family is coelaic, so we eats of gluten-free foods as a matter of course. Definitly makes me feel better than too much wheat, so I hope the same works for you!
I wish I could find canned pumpkin here in the UK - I've seen so many recipes calling for it, it'd be a useful store cupboard standby. These sound yummy!

J x

Skhye said...

Hm, Jane, maybe we should be giving canned pumpkin away.

AK: I would have expected you to complain if I posted a hamburger-free diet or something. This recipe tastes EXACTLY like pumpkin bread. But it's got more fiber and proteing than your recipe. ;)

Karen H said...

I'm not a big fan of pumpkin but these sound really good.

Skhye said...

Karen, I'm not either. I eat the bread and a cookie that is as moist and tastes exactly like the bread. Mom always said I was a picky eater! LOL Since I'm supposed to give up wheat, I find there's nothing for me to eat but cheese, meat, corn chips, and vegetables. If I don't make these muffins to have once a day, I don't have anything to eat. :(

Anonymous said...

Yummy.
Enough said.
LOL!

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

GIVE AWAY PUMPKIN? We can't give away pumpkin...there's going to be a canned pumpkin shortage this year because of too much rain ruining the crops. I've been snatching up cans of pumpkin every time I go to the store, so I can make my pumpkin bread this year (recipe coming next week, so stay tuned).

Oh, I wasn't complaining about your recipe...though maybe I should have advertised it as gluten-free....it would have gotten people to come, too, since there are so many people having trouble with gluten these days.....

Skhye said...

Since you are harping about the pumpkin shortage, maybe giving a can or two away is the kindest thing to do!!! LOL. I have bought a few cans every time I see it. Life without my muffins sounds pretty grim!

Judy said...

I love muffins and pumpkin. These really look very good. I will try them. I have copied all these recipes so far.

Skhye said...

We've also added dried blueberries to this recipe. :) Hope you love them, Judy!

LuAnn said...

My kids love anything pumpkin! They would definitely enjoy these.

Skhye said...

Shhh! Don't forget, there's a vegetable in these!!!