December 4, 2009

Holiday Cheer - Candy Cane Cookies

I made these one time, back when my oldest daughter was in kindergarden. I made them for her class party. I don't know why I haven't made them since (22 years), they weren't that hard and they were good. The kids and the teacher were impressed by them.

What memory do you have from a holiday party, a class party or otherwise? Leave a comment to be eligible for the weekly prize - a $10 The Wild Rose Press gift certificate, and the daily prize - "An Affair Beofre Christmas" by Eloisa James.


Candy Cane Cookies

Ingredients
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely crushed candy cane mixed with 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring

Directions
Mix all ingredients. Split dough into equal portions. Color one portion of the dough red. Refrigerate the dough long enough to be able to easily work with it. Break off one piece (approx. one teaspoon of each color) and roll by hand into four to five inch tubes. Twist the two pieces together and bend forming a candy cane. Sprinkle the top with the candy cane/sugar mixture. Be careful when removing from the cookie sheet, they will break easily. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-9 minutes.

Tomorrow's recipe: Pumpkin Muffins.

Perhaps the best Yuletide decoration is being wreathed in smiles. ~Author Unknown

11 comments:

Jane Richardson said...

What a lovely idea! I've always wondered what else you could do with those candy canes - now I know!

Jane x

Rosa Robichaud said...

WOW!!!! this sounds like an "easy smeasy" recipe, that can REALLY impress young kids and young "adults" too!

Tks for sharing!

Rosa Robichaud

LuAnn said...

Gosh, I remember making these years ago, except I didn't add the peppermint because my kids didn't care for mints that much when they were little.

Anonymous said...

This one sounds quick and yummy. I am going to try it for the departmental holiday dinner.

BTW, I made the M&M cookies early this morning. They were a big hit! Thanks!

Judy said...

Wow, they look like cookies the kids would enjoy taking to school. I need to make them for my grandson's daycare party next week.

I have always tried to make something for my children and now my grandchildren's school functions. It makes them feel important:)

Mary Ricksen said...

I have a recipe like this and it's wonderful. Like Jane said don't throw those candy canes away!
I have a great recipe for spumoni cookies I make at the same time. Gosh this one brings back some great memories!
Since you posted it I'm gonna make them to bring to a signing!

Karen H said...

Man, these cookies bring back memories. My mom used to make these and a pinwheel cookie with a chocolate & vanilla cookie dough similar to this. The doughs would be shaped into logs then sliced lengthwise into quarters. Alternating quarter cuts of vanilla & chocolate would be put back together to form 2 mixed logs then sliced & baked. So much work and so much fun for little kids!

Estella said...

Looks like fun to make.

Anonymous said...

They are so festive! Thanks for sharing.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Congrats to Rita A. She won the drawing for "An Affair Before Christmas" by Eloisa James.

Carol Jo Kachmar said...

Oh, I'll have to try these as my husband just loves candy canes. Thanks for posting it.