December 6, 2009

Holiday Cheer - Santa Squares

Today is the Feast of St. Nicholas. Several countries celebrates, some known as "Little Christmas" and exchange gifts with friends and families. Here's a site on St. Nicholas for more information. I also found this great site, The St. Nicholas Center. It has activies, history, recipes and more.

Do you still believe in Santa? Leave a comment to be eligible for the weekly prize - a $10 The Wild Rose Press gift certificate.

Santa Squares

Ingredients


9 graham cracker squares
1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, or pecans)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange graham crackers in a single layer in an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan. Heat butter and brown sugar to boiling. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Pour liquid over crackers and spread evenly. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Bake about 10 minutes, until bubbly. Remove from oven, cool slightly, and cut into 1 inch squares.
Makes about 3 dozen squares.

Tomorrow's Recipe: Cherry Nut Balls

Alas! How dreary would be the world if there was no Santa Claus!... There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence.
~ FRANCIS P. CHURCH, New York Sun, Sep. 21, 1897

9 comments:

Karen H said...

Nope, sorry, I don't believe in Santa....unless of course, he's a Chippendale!!! (snort, snicker)

I've had these Santa Squares before but the person making them didn't have a name for them and they were also made with club crackers. Very good too but I imagine made with grahams, they would be great!

Judy said...

Of course I believe in Santa Claus. I enjoyed myself when I was a young child, when you didn't even think about " is there a Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc/", so it helps to keep the memories and it keeps you young at heart.

I have never had a Santa Square, but they do look delicious and Easy, will also copy this one down and try them.

magnolias_1@msn.com (Judy)

Jane said...

I do still believe in Santa. The Santa Squares look delicious and seem easy to make.

Anonymous said...

There is a little Santa in all of us. The cookies look scrumptious.

LuAnn said...

Oh, I definitely believe in Santa. Always have, always will!

This recipe looks great! I'm going to try this one for sure.

Debby said...

Of course there is Santa. Lvoe ly recipes. thanks so much

Estella said...

I am way too old to believe in Santa.

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe. Thank you so much for all that you do for us this time of year.

Love you

Detra said...

I believe in Santa! And tinkerbell too! *clapping hands loud and fast.*