September 2, 2008

Louise Porter's Ambrosia Fruitcake

Louise Porter was my husband's grandmother. He spent his summer as a child on the Porter Farm in Mississippi. I've never made this cake, but certainly looks yummy. I'll need to make it one day.

1/2 lb. butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. b. soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. each Cinnamon & nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 cup boiling water
1 raw apple (grated)

First dissolve spices & cocoa in boiling water, then mix soda with buttermilk, set aside.

Cream butter, and sugar and add eggs one at a time. Now add the spices and then flour and buttermilk alternately. Then grated apple. Bake in 3 well greased & floured cake pans at 350° for 25 or 30 min.

Filling;
3 cups sugar
2 cups milk
1/4 lb. butter
1tsp. baking powder
1 cup raisins (chopped)
1 cup coconut
1 cup nuts
1 small can crushed pineapple
1 orange rind (grated)
1 tsp. vanilla

Cook in a medium pot until thickens and spread evenly between layers.

Do you have a favorite cake recipe you'd like to share?

~Anna Kathyrn
http://www.aklanier.com/

8 comments:

blessedheart said...

This does sound yummy!

Rhonda :-)

Jannine said...

Yum, can't wait to try this. But where are the nutritional guidelines? LOL

Thanks for sharing a family recipe.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Jannine, it's an old family recipe, as you said, they don't have any calories, don't you know?

Anna Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Wow! This sounds great! Going to have to try it...prehaps see if I can make it sugar free...I'm diabetic so too much sugar isn't good for me but I I will let you know how it turns out!
Thanks for the recipe!
Brenda Weaver
dragynheart@sbcglobal.net
Dragon Lord of Kells: Book 1 The Empowered Spirits Series available now at www.thewildrosepress.com

Cheryl in Pittsburgh said...

I don't do cake, but I stopped by to say hello anyway. Smiles!

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Hi, Brenda and Cheryl. Brenda, do let us know how the cake turns out with less sugar or a sugar subsitute.

Thanks for stopping by, Cheryl. Frankly, this cakes looks like a lot of work, and if you've read my previous posts, I like fast and easy....LOL. But since it's a family recipe, I'll have to make it some day.

~Anna Kathryn

Carol M said...

This cake does look good but I also like fast and easy! lol

CrystalGB said...

Sounds delicious.