December 20, 2011

Holiday Cheer - Reindeer Chow and Reindeer Food

Need something to do with the kiddos? Here's another quick and delicious recipe (I seem to like that word, delicious, a lot these days).  

Reindeer Chow

Ingredients

1 stick butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
7 cups Rice Chex cereal
2 cups powdered sugar

Directions

Melt the butter, chocolate chips, and peanut butter in a pan over medium; stirring to blend. Put cereal in a large bowl and add mixture. Mix well. Add powdered sugar and stir until well coated. Keep in a sealed container.



Oh, and we want Santa to come by the house Christmas Eve, so here's a recipe to help the Reindeer find the way:


Reindeer Food

Ingredients:

1 cup rolled oats
¼ cup sugar
3 tbsp red colored sugar
3 tbsp green colored sugar

Directions:

Mix together and place in a plastic bag. Sprinkle on the lawn on Christmas Eve. The smell of the oats and the glitter of the sugar will help the Santa’s reindeer find YOUR HOME!





Don't forget to leave a comment and your email to be 
eligible for this week's prize: ALL FOR LOVE: A Romantic Anthology 
by Laura Stoddard, quotes and drawings about the pangs and pleasures of love. I'll draw a winner on Wednesday, Dec. 21.







Cute Graphics



What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is a fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may lead to peace. ~Agnes M. Pharo

12 comments:

Patricia said...

My little guys are 4 and 19 months. The "big" one is so excited for santa and Christmas this year and the reindeer food is perfect for him. I can't wait until Christmas Eve and sprinkling it on the lawn with him.

Email is patti1075@gmail.com

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

I've done this with my grandkids the last couple of years. They really liked making it and sprinking it on the lawn.

Susan M said...

I made this last year when my grandson was visiting. It rained that night, so we put it on a plate next to Santa's cookies.

Calisa Rhose said...

We have deer out here in the country but we rarely see them, so this might be fun to draw them out. Thanks, Anna Kathryn!

Paty Jager said...

Hmmm...I don't need to encourage "deer" to come into my yard. LOL I like the chow for the grandkiddies though. Merry Christmas, Anna Kathryn!

Callie said...

Yum, both recipes sound good. I wonder if my dogs would like the reindeer chow? Probably, they like everything.

Merry Christmas.

Sandy L. Rowland said...

Thank you for the holiday fun.
My little grand daughter will love making something for Santa's reindeer.
So fun!

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Hi, everyone! I've been busy today, so glad to see the comments. The good thing about the Reindeer Food is that it's eco-good. Some recipes I've seen call for glitter, which isn't good for animals, but this one subs sugar and colored sugar for the glitter. So, won't hurt the dogs, birds or other animals that might eat it.

Jerrica Knight-Catania said...

Ooh! Yum! But I won't be making it with my toddler...we tried peanut butter blossoms last weekend and it almost ended in disaster. Lol!

Princess_jewel78 at Yahoo dot com

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Jerrica, let the toddler pour the cereal into the bowl, but you're right, after looking at the recipe again, it might be too much for the little ones.

Paul McDermott said...

First time I visited in-laws [aka "The Outlaws"] MIL apologised that she could "only" offer venison for Christmas Dinner because PORK was "too expensive".
Perhaps I should add that they live in a massive natural forest in Northern Sweden. PORK and other 'normal fare' meats have to be IMPORTED, but the local cook book starts (p.1) "First shoot your moose ..."

Mary Preston said...

We were busy making Reindeer Food at work with the children. Each child took some home. Magic!!