December 5, 2011

Holiday Cheer - Broccoli Slaw

On Saturday, the 3rd, I had a VERY busy day. I left the house at 8 and was going until nearly 10 at night. The day started off with the Northwest Houston RWA's annual holiday party, drove home and attended my granddaughter's 4th birthday party, then went to Galveston and my husband's office part. Lots of good food, friends and conversation all day long.

At the NWH party, Amanda asked for the recipe for the Broccoli Slaw I brought. I told her I'd planned to post it on my Holiday Cheer, and would do so this week, since she did want it (I did tell her what to do, but neither of us wrote it down). This is a good dish to take to a pot luck and, in fact, a pot luck is where I found the salad. About 10 years ago at a family reunion, my first cousin, once removed, Bobbie, brought this Broccoli Slaw and I got recipe from her.

You can cook the bacon, chop up the veggies and mix-up the dressing the day before.  Store everything separate (baggies work well for bacon and veggies), then toss it all together about an hour before serving.


Broccoli Slaw

Ingredients:

1 bunch of broccoli, heads cut off
1 medium onion, chopped
½ pound of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled

Dressing:

1 cup mayonnaise
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoon vinegar

Directions:

Fix the dressing at least two hours ahead of time and put in refrigerator.  Mix the broccoli, onion and bacon.  An hour before serving, pour the dressing on broccoli salad.


Win a prize - leave a comment with your email to be entered in the drawing. This week's prize is Kohl's Cares Good Housekeeping "A Very Merry Christmas" Cookbook. It "features hearty dishes, mouthwatering cookies and traditional table centerpieces the entire family will enjoy." I'll draw a winner for it next Wednesday, Dec. 7th.

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart. -Washington Irving

5 comments:

Barbara Edwards said...

thanks for the recipe. I've had this in restaurants and find it a nice alternative dish.
barbara.edwards2@yahoo.com
Barbara

Nancy Jardine Author said...

Never tried this but it looks so good i have to sometime. Thanks Anna, I think it should maybe go well with a baked ham dish on Boxing Day!

Carla Rossi said...

Thanks for the recipe. It's simpler than the one I have - which automatically makes it better.
Enter me in that drawing!
carla@carlarossi.com

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Hi all. Thanks for stopping by. We missed you at the party, Carla. Hope all is were.

J.D. Faver said...

I loved this salad too. Thanks for sharing and thanks to Amanda for asking. Yum!
J.D.