January 12, 2010

Wednesday's Chow - Potato Cheese Bake

This recipe comes to us from Lexie, who posted it during my September Recipe Extravaganza. Since I'm using her recipe, Lexie will get a prize, a copy of one of my stories.

Potato Cheese Bake (of Cholesterol Hell)*

5lbs yukon potatoes
16 ounces of cheddar cheese
1 package bacon (optional)
8 ounces sour cream
Salt
Oil

1) Add oil to the frying pan, half as much as you'd need to coat the bottom

2)Peel and dice up the potatoes into bite-sized chunks, sprinkle with salt and pan fry them until tender

3) take the sour cream and dump it into a medium sized saucepan. STir until loosened a little bit, begin to add the shredded cheddar in slowly, stirring constantly over medium heat.

4) Once all of the cheddar is melted, turn off the stovetop and set aside.

5) Put Potatoes into a casserole pan of some sort (I use my large lasagna pans). arrange flat and then pour the cheese sauce over top.

6) Heat at 350F for 10-15 minutes (depending on if you want the cheese to start burning or not).

To add bacon: do all of the above, cook the bacon and crumble it over top the cheese & potatoes.

Other options include frying the potatoes in the bacon grease.

*And that's the recipe's name my grandma gave it.

Lexie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds like a really good recipe but my hubby want eat anything with cheese in it. Now the fried patatoes he would go for.

LuAnn said...

Gosh, how many servings does this make!
It does sound yummy. My hubby won't eat sour cream, but hiding it in a recipe like this ... he won't even know it's there. I have a recipe for chicken enchiladas that has cream cheese, which he also hates, but he loves those enchiladas. I just don't tell him the cream cheese is in there! Back to the sour cream ... he also love a good stroganoff, which is typically made with sour cream! Funny how men are just like little kids that way, isn't it!