January 1, 2010

New Year Resolutions - New Me

I don't really make resolutions. I don't recall if I've done any in the past or not, but if I did, I didn't keep them. This year, I'm not actually going to make a resolution, but I am going to change my habits. My husband got me what I wanted for Christmas, an elliptical exercise machine. I am overweight, and by some accounts, probably obese (described as being more than 30% over your ideal weight). I jokingly call it baby fat. Unfortunately, the baby is 22 years old and getting married in May. Other than the facts that I'm overweight and out of shape, I want to look good for the wedding. I'd like to lose, eventually, 30-40 pounds. Whether or not my 50 year old body can actually be 120 pounds I don't know, but I'd settle for being a healthy 130 pounds. Since I did put on a few pounds during the holidays, I checked in at 159.6 on Christmas day.

(Me and my granddaughters, Emma and Lacey, making Reindeer Food)




















I just read today an article by Dr. Oz, who said we really should chuck the scale and instead go by our girth to determine fitness. Measure yourself around your waist, over the belly button. That number should be half your height. I'm five feet, 60 inches, tall, so my girth should be 30 inches. Yeah, well, I haven't gotten around to measuring the damage there. But I can tell you, I'm no where near 30 inches in the waist....my thighs might be 30 inches....which, btw, I think I read years ago should be half the size of your waist.

So, why am I boring you all with this information? Because I plan to check in on my blog weekly to let you all know how I'm doing. I'll probably do it on Saturday, since I started my excising on Christmas Day, Friday. I will also be trying to change my eating habits, so I'll be discussing that some, too.
Everyone is welcome to check in with me and to share their own stories. Let's see how we can change ourselves together.
Anna Kathryn Lanier

7 comments:

robynl said...

I am on the same road as you - wanting to eat healthier and lose weight. BUT I have more to lose than you do so be happy about that.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Oh, I know in the scheme of things, I'm not too bad off...I'd never make The Biggest Loser, but heart disease and diabetes runs in my family, so I should be taking better care of myself. Hang in there, Robyn and do it slow, it's the best way.

Emma Lai said...

I'll be cheering you on Anna Kathryn! I like the waist half your height because it means I'm perfectly normal. LOL! Though even I know I'm crazy. My thought on the whole weight thing is if you feel comfortable, if you have the energy and ability to do the things you want to do, then you're on the right track.

Anne Marie Novark said...

Good luck, Anna!!!

I'm on a new regimen, too.

Just got diagnosed with osteoporosis, so I really need to jump on the healthy lifestyle wagon.

Exercise and healthy eating is key!!!

Here's a tip about better eating:

Chunk the simple carbs and substitute complex carbs. Fiber is good!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Anna, I am in the same boat as you but much worse. I wish I could get to 150 lbs and stay there. I have been down to that weight when I was younger, but have been heavy all of my life. I can't seem to take it off anymore. It gets so frustrating. Seems like I have to live on salad to take off weight and that gets old real quick! I love watching Dr Oz. and he makes a lot of sence. I also plan to start exercising more and trying to take off some weight, so we are behind you all the way! It helps to have extra support! Diabetes runs in my family also. My sister developed it at the age I am now and this scares me. Because I am a sugar addict. If I could stop my sugars it would help alot.

Good luck with your resolutions, I am there with you.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Hi, all. I agree with Emma, weight doesn't matter so much, if you are healthy. But I know that I am not healthy or in good physical shape. I get out of breath too quickly. So, as much as I would love to weigh 120 pounds (cough, cough), I doubt I will. I'm willing to be in good shape and healthier.

Everyone is welcome to post progress or set backs here. I am proud of myself for today, I drove home to eat (a not so healthy grilled cheese, I'm sure, but better than the quarter prounder I thought to stop and pick up at Micky D's.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Hi, all. I agree with Emma, weight doesn't matter so much, if you are healthy. But I know that I am not healthy or in good physical shape. I get out of breath too quickly. So, as much as I would love to weigh 120 pounds (cough, cough), I doubt I will. I'm willing to be in good shape and healthier.

Everyone is welcome to post progress or set backs here. I am proud of myself for today, I drove home to eat (a not so healthy grilled cheese, I'm sure, but better than the quarter prounder I thought to stop and pick up at Micky D's.