March 30, 2011

Wednesday's Chow - Salmon Patties

Salmon Patties


This is a recipe my mother-in-law, a GRITS (Girls Raised in The South) gave me when my husband asked if I knew how to make Salmon Patties. I had to get it from her twice, because I lost the first recipe. And of course, as a true GRITS, this recipe is different from the first …. I know this because I did remember the first a little bit and this one had more flour and corn meal. Which means she just makes it off the top of her head. At least she didn’t tell me “a handful of flour and dash of salt.”

Ingredients:


Large can of salmon
Chopped onion
2 eggs
½ cup flour
½ cup corn meal
Salt to taste

Directions:
Put enough oil in a skillet to make ¼ inch. Heat on medium. Mix all ingredients together in bowl and shape into patties. Fry until brown , 3-5 minutes each side.

10 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I have a similar recipe but use tuna. I think salmon would be rather delicious.

marypres@gmail.com

Roseanne Dowell said...

Sounds delicious. I have a can of salmon and am definitely going to try this ne. Do you have one for salmon loaf too? I had one a long time ago, but misplaced it.

Kat Duncan said...

A great, easy recipe. I think I'll try it! I love salmon. Thanks for sharing....

Anonymous said...

I've been leaving out the flour all this time. That's why mine fall apart in the skillet! WooHoo! You've made me very happy today. We all need to eat more salmon.
Joy Held
Writer Wellness, A Writer's Path to Health and Creativity
Who Dares Wins Publishing

Sandy L. Rowland said...

I've been looking for something like this. Are there any Scottish cook books you would recommend? Any with historical info would be perfect, but I'll be happy with any true to the country version.

Thanks for sharing.
Sandy R

Caroline Clemmons said...

Aha, when you said a can of salmon, I knew this is what it would be. My mother loved salmon patties, but she used all flour and no corn meal in ehrs. Until I married I had no idea how grilled salmon tasted or looked. My mom was a champ at stretching money, though, and we always had plenty to eat.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

OH Yummmmmmm. I love salmon and this sounds really good. I don't think my hubby would eat them, but he's supposed to go fishing next week for five days if the rain in Oregon stops (fat chance, you say?) so I could make them then.

Thanks again, Anna Kathryn.

J.D. Faver said...

I was raised in Oklahoma and my mom made salmon patties often. Thanks for reminding me. I needed a nice little squeeze of nostalgia today. After moving to Texas I lived in Corpus and got my first taste of fresh seafood. Changed my life. But I always have a can of salmon and tuna in my "hurricane" pantry.
Thanks Anna Kathryn.
*hugs*
~June

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Hi, everyone! Thanks for the comments and bits of personal history. I don't think my mama did salmon patties. My husband asked me about them after we married, and I had to call his mama to get the recipe. The whole family likes it, but one daughter doesn't like onions, so I'll form her patty before I add the onions. They're great with ketchup or tartar sauce.

Autumn Jordon said...

I love salmon and these are delicious. I've never made with flour and cornmeal though. We used breadcrumbs. Now I'm hungry.