March 14, 2011

Guest Blogger - L. K. Below

Vertigo of the Heart
by L. K. Below

 Love is a scary thing. Or, in the words of my cynical main character from Stone Cold Kiss, love isn’t worth the heartbreak involved. You see, my main character Kelsey has what I like to call vertigo of the heart. She’s afraid of falling in love.

I’ve been there. After a hard breakup, it just seems easier to shun love and dating. Kelsey may not have had a recent breakup, but she’s faced a parade of men trying to force her to be more feminine instead of accepting her for who she is. A workaholic who loves her job.

Fortunately for Kelsey, she has an actual fear of falling as well. Heights aren’t her favorite thing and yet she somehow finds herself at the top of Blarney Castle in Ireland, bending over backwards in an attempt to kiss the Blarney Stone. Even though she finds herself a bit paralyzed with her fear, she is lucky. Because the very man to save her -- Seamus McKinley -- just happens to be a man willing to save her from all of her fears, even her fear of love.

Seamus is one of my favorite characters for just that reason. I’ll admit it, I might have a lot in common with Kelsey. And who doesn’t want a man willing to do anything to hold on to the woman of his dreams?

Confession time: Now that I’ve made my confession (and like Kelsey, I was lucky enough to find a man willing to overlook my workaholic tendencies…), who else has experienced vertigo of the heart?

L. K. Below writes romance and speculative fiction. Read more about her newest release, Stone Cold Kiss here. Visit her online at http://www.lbelow.net/ or on her blog at http://lbelow.blogspot.com.  

11 comments:

Mary Preston said...

That cover is gorgeous. It makes me want to open up the book.

marypres@gmail.com

L. K. Below/Lindsay Below said...

Thank you for saying so, Marybelle. I know that when I first saw it, the cover stole my breath. I agree, gorgeous. Thanks for stopping by to read and comment

And thanks, Anna, for having me!

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Hi, L.K. Thanks for joining my blog today. Great blog. I don't think I've ever had vertigo of the heart. But what a great phrase.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Well, rats, now I have to buy this book. I love books set in Ireland. I chickened out and didn't walk to the top to kiss the Blarney stone, but my husband braved it. I'm a talker, so didn't need MORE gift of gab.LOL

Ciara Gold said...

I'll add my vote for that cover. The cover alone will sell you lots of books. But the story also sounds intriguing. Gotta love Irishmen.

L. K. Below/Lindsay Below said...

Caroline - I would chicken out too. Fear of heights and all that LOL.

Ciara - I'm glad you like the cover (and the story) :)

Thanks for stopping by to read and comment, ladies :D

Keena Kincaid said...

An Irishman once told me it's a rite of passage for teenage boys to pee on the Blarney Stone, so I'll never kiss it.

My ditto on the cover. It's scrumptious.

L. K. Below/Lindsay Below said...

Peeing on the Blarney Stone? Now that's a disturbing thing. Even if rain washes it away... gross.

Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hello, Lindsay!

As I might have shared before, I tried to get rid of my husband when I first met him (not murder him LOL, but ignore him, to make him go away) because I really didn't want a man in my life at the that point, especially one who lived 3000 miles away.

Didn't work. He's a stubborn guy!

Warmly,
Lisabet

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Lindsay,
Lovley cover. Like the concept of your story too. Best of luck with it.

Regards

Margaret

L. K. Below/Lindsay Below said...

Lisabet - The stubborn ones are the best!

Margaret - Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by to read and comment, ladies :)