March 9, 2011

Wednesday's Chow - Oyster Scallop

Today is Ash Wednesday and as such, it's a day that should be observed by fasting from sun rise to sun set.  I've fasted on a few Ash Wednesdays, but I'm not making any promises to fast this year.  However, I will observe the tradition of not eating any meat today (nor on Friday's during Lent).  So, keeping that in mind, here's a seafood recipe to share with your family during this season of reflection and sacrifice.

BTW, Lent is also a time to grow closer to God, either by giving up something or taking up something.  In the past, I've given up soda pop....and, okay, I can't think of anything else, because I doubt I've ever given up chocolate or sex....lol.  I am not good at doing a daily devotional reading (okay, I'm terrible at it!).  So, I think this year, I'll 'take up' doing a daily devotion or bible reading.

And, I think I'll post meatless recipes, as well as not posting sweet/dessert recipes, during Lent to help those who want to observe as I do.


Oyster Scallop


Ingredients:


4 tbsp butter, melted
2 cups soda-cracker crumbs (about 24 crackers)
½ cup chopped parsley
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 pint oysters (about 2 dozen)
Reserve liquid
½ cup light cream
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce


Directions:


Preheat oven 350⁰.


Mix crackers crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper with butter. Drain oysters, reserving liquid.


Sprinkle 1/3 crumb mixture in 9-inch square baking dish. Add half the oysters, half the remaining crumbs, then rest of oysters.

Combine reserved liquid, cream and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over top. Sprinkle remaining crumbs.


Bake for 30 minutes.

Anna Kathryn
http://www.aklanier.com/

4 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I'm sorry but anything with oyster will not make it to our table.

Cheers!!

marypres@gmail.com

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Well, so far, this is the only oyster recipe I have planned. Next week's is a Crab and Shrimp Casserole. I love oysters, but I understand they are an aquired taste.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bethany said...

Anna,

I've got Alfredo Sauce w/sundried tomatoes over Angel Hair Pasta planned for dinner tonight.

The Church I go to has these things called "Little Black Books" available--they're not real expensive if you buy them--they have something to read and a mediation exercise--supposed to be 6 minutes per day that I like to do during Lent. I'll see if they have a website if you're interested.