April 13, 2011

Wednesday Chow - Rip's Cucumber Soup

If you've been following my blog, you know I spent this past weekend in New Iberia, Louisiana with a group of authors from Northwest Houston RWA.  If you haven't been following my blog, then just scroll down for the three diary posts.

One of the places we visited was Jefferson's Island and the Rip Van Winkle Gardens. I bought a cookbook there, INNcredible Cookin': Favorite Recipes from Louisiana's Best Bed & Breakfast Inns, Cottages & Guesthouses.  Here's the recipe Rip Van Winkle Gardens included in the book.

Rip's Cucumber Soup


Do not peel the cucumber before processing.  The skin is what gives the soup its lovely, pale green color.


Ingredients:

1 large English cucumber
3 scallions, trimmed and chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 cups regular strength chicken broth
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Rinse cucumber and trim off the ends. Cut off four pieces crosswise, about 1 inch think, and set aside for garnish. Cut remaining piece of cucumber in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Cut cucumber into chunks. Place cucumber chunks into a processor or blender.  Add the scallions and parsley and process until smooth.  Add chicken broth and process briefly.  Place sour cream into large mixing bowl, add mayonnaise and blend well. Gradually mix in the smooth cucumber mixture. Cover and chill. When cold, serve with cucumber slices as garnish.

8 comments:

Mary Preston said...

On day you will put a recipe up that I will try. Not a fan of cucumbers you see!!

marypres@gmail.com

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

LOL, well, I can't help if you don't eat any of the 'good' stuff. So, what do you like Marybelle? I'll find a recipe just for you.

Julie LaLonde Robinson said...

This sounds delicious. And looks simple enough for me!
Julie

Julie LaLonde Robinson said...

Oh, thanks for sharing. I may have to get a copy of the book myself.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Julie, this is the second Bed and Breakfast book I've found and I love them both. They have really interesting recipes.

I went shopping today, and meant to look for an English cucumber, but forgot. I plan to make this soon.

Stacey Purcell said...

We had such a good time! If this recipe is as good as the food we had there under the giant oaks, then it will be fabulous. I will try this one out for sure.
Wish I had spotted that cookbook! Sounds like it will have terrific recipes. Thanks for sharing

Julie LaLonde Robinson said...

an English cucumber??

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Yes, it's about 2 or so feet long...