April 10, 2011

Cajun Country Field Trip - Day Three

Another beautiful day. We really could not have asked for more perfect weather for our trip. That is something I never even thought about, that it could have been pouring down rain!  Though it got warm, it was never overly hot or humid.

6:00 a.m. - Woke up to the sound of my neighbors talking.  It might not have been so bad, if they'd been having sex....at least that would have been interesting. Instead, they were packing and checking out.  Not their fault, as they weren't making a lot of noise. This was just the noisiest, thinnest walls hotel I've been in for a long while. But, other than that, the hotel was very nice and they serve a great breakfast.  I didn't really know what time we were supposed to meet, so I finally got up at 7:00 and got ready, planning to go to breakfast at 8. Ran into Cheri and Jane in the hallway, so we went down to break the fast together.  As we finished up, Stacey popped in and said the others were going to "Clinton's", I think that's the name....it's a restaurant mentioned in books by a local author.  As the three of us had eaten, we opted to stay at the hotel.  I checked my email, then took a short nap (I did get woken up at 6, remember).

Jefferson's House

11:00 a.m. - Met up with everyone in the lobby, checked out of the hotel and we all drove to Jefferson Island and Rip Van Winkle Gardens.  We took a tour of the home, built in the 1860's by famous actor Joseph Jefferson, who wrote the play Rip Van Winkle (but not the story).  We also walked in the gardens, planted by John Lyle Bayless, Jr, the son of the second owner of the island, John Lyle Bayless, Sr.  They are beautiful and very peaceful...with wild peacocks roaming around (see picture).

Anna Kathryn


1:30 - Lunch at the Jefferson Cafe, outside, under the 100+ year old Oaks, with Loretta, Cheri, Elizabeth, Jane, Patti, Stacey and Stacey's father, JC, Aunt Pookie and family friend, Betty. I had the seafood bisque...OMG....to DIE for, and a quarter Italian Muffuletta (you'd understand the 1/4th sandwich if you ever had a Muffuletta).  Spent over an hour talking, enjoying the view and the food.



3:00 p.m. - Visited the gift shop...did I mention I've bought about 6 cookbooks on this trip?  Then, headed for home.

This was a wonderful trip.  I want to thank Stacey for thinking up this idea and for inviting us to join her.  I lived in Ascension Parish, Louisiana (about 2 hours away from New Iberia) for 8 years, and never made it to Iberia Parish for a visit.  I was missing out!  I recommend a trip to everyone, but really, don't plan to go in July or August. The heat and humidity will be unbearable.  March or April would be a great time to visit.


3 comments:

Caroline Clemmons said...

Anna Kathryn, thanks for the vicarious vacation. LOL Sounds interesting and restful (except for the 6 am part). Thanks for sharing.

Ilona Fridl said...

Wonderful pictures, Anna! If it hadn't have been over 80 here in Wisconsin yesterday, I'd be envious!

Stacey Purcell said...

It was a fun trip and I'm glad you were able to get away with us. Time off is great for the creative juices and mental well being!!!ummylin