March 3, 2009

Wednesday's Chow - Green Beans with Basil

So, you may have noticed The Biggest Loser logo on the right side there. I joined the club in January and did pretty well (7 pounds) until this past weekend. I sorta went wild and gained a few pounds back...yeah in a WEEKEND! That bites. But I'm back on track today (excpet for the Brach's Pastel Fiesta Malted Milk Eggs--which ONLY are on sale this time of the year....but that's another post, which I think I really do need to post about).

With the club, you get a daily menu and recipes. The other day, I made these green beans and let me tell you...they are really good. Usually, I just steam the beans and salt them. But these few added, low calorie additions really make the beans great. A very nice side dish and not too complicated.

Green Beans with Basil

12 ounces of fresh green beans, ends and strings removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 teaspoons of butter
½ cup onion, chopped
¼ cup celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable broth*
1 teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped OR
¼ teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary

*I used water and beef bullion glandular.

Steam beans until beans are crisp-tender: In a large saucepan, bring 1-inch of water to a boil. Place the beans in a steamer basket and set the basket in the saucepan, making sure the basket sits above the water. Cover and steam for 5 to 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet. Add the onion, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4 minutes. Add the broth, basil and rosemary. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until the celery is tender. Add beans and mix well. Serve warm.

4 servings. 50 calories a serving.


Anna Kathryn
www.aklanier.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anna--made your chicken tetrazzini recipe for company a few weeks ago--everyone loved it. Thanks!

Emma Lai said...

I love green beans! This sounds like a great twist.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Susan, I'm so glad you and your company enjoyed it! I still haven't made it, though I thought too, but last week was a lot of eating out.

Emma, it was very tasty. I was pleased. I undercooked the beans, so next time I'll know better. But it was still good.

Anna Kathryn

Christie Craig said...

That sounds good.

I'm gonna have to try that.

CC

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Hey, Grandma CC. My 15 month old granddaughter liked these green beans, too. Of course, you'll have to wait a bit before you can give to your new wee one....but I'm Lily will like them too (hope I remembered the name right!).

A.K.