November 14, 2012

Wednesday's Chow - Desert Dessert SAND


When asked to provide a recipe that would go along with my book, Taken by Storm, I was stumped.  Taken by Storm is a romance set in the desert in ancient times.  My research told me the people in that area at that time ate such things as chickpeas, fava beans, lentils, almonds, nane sangak, (bread prepared on hot stones), rice, and eggplant.  Foods were seasoned with saffron, cardamom, turmeric, and nutmeg.  For dessert, Persians enjoyed figs, cherries, plums, pomegranates, and grapes, along with shekar polo (a sweet rice dish).  I have to be truthful here, I’ve never prepared nane sangak, or anything else on hot rocks, and I’m not even sure I could tell a fava bean from a lentil.  
So, I decided to do something more thematic than historically accurate.  Thus you have—

DESERT DESSERT ~ “SAND”

 This is my twist on the popular dessert, “Dirt.”  All you need is-

1 lg. box white chocolate instant pudding

3 c. milk

1 pkg. Golden Oreos

Gummy scorpions, or camels, or snakes, whichever you prefer 

Prepare pudding as directed on package.  Crush Oreos in blender, or put them in a gallon sized baggie and crush with rolling pin or mallet.  Sprinkle crushed Oreos on pudding and decorate with Gummies.

 

And now, here’s a scene from Taken by Storm.  Tahj was complaining minutes before this about the forty Abbas he paid for their clothing.  Now he sits fighting off his host’s three amorous daughters. 
“You’re strong,” Dariya said, and the others giggled. Tahj felt Etti’s hand slipping lower on his thigh and shifted nervously. By the time Radeem came out, he felt like he had been fighting back three panthers. To his relief, Dariya and Etti rose to fawn over his captain, leaving him with only the one pair of wandering hands to deal with.

Tahj glanced up when he heard the bedroom door open and involuntarily rose out of his chair as Bashea entered. She was stunning in the white garb she wore, gold medallions hanging from the headpiece and the belt at her waist. The ties of the Choli top skimmed over her bare midriff, and she wore a traditional face veil, which only served to accent her mesmerizing eyes all the more, as they were the only part of her face which wasn’t hidden. A triple strand of pearls hung below her chin, swaying as she walked forward, and Tahj felt as if the earth were swaying in time.

Radeem, who had stopped in mid-sentence when Bashea entered, gulped and bent down to whisper in Tahj’s ear. “Bet you won’t be complaining any more about the money I spent. Worth every damn Abba.” 

Hope you find that the “Sand” is worth every Abba you pay for it, too!  Do any of you have deserty recipes?  Thanks for stopping by!

M.J. Schiller

Find Taken by Storm at Crimson Romance, Amazon, BN.com, I-books, Kobo, and through most e-Book retailers.

6 comments:

Deborah O'Neill Cordes said...

"A triple strand of pearls hung below her chin, swaying as she walked forward, and Tahj felt as if the earth were swaying in time." Beautiful line! And since I love Dirt Cake, I know I'll love your recipe, M.J. Your novel sounds wonderful, and it is now on my 'to read' list.

RT Wolfe said...

Love it! Yum! (both the recipe and the excerpt)
-R.T. Wolfe

M.J. Schiller said...

Thank you, Debra! I'm a dirt cake fan myself, actually made it this summer while on vacation. And, although my teens may not admit it, they still love it when I get the gummy worms to go with it!

M.J. Schiller said...

Thanks, R.T.! When I first thought of the idea, I wasn't sure if it would taste good, so we had a taste test. It got five thumbs up, from me and my four teens!

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

I love easy, delicious recipes. And yes, I noticed the post you made about buying a car for your triplets! My goodness. I'm sure they and your older daughter keep you hopping!

Caroline Clemmons said...

My daughter is a school librarian now, but when she was teaching she used to make "Dirt" for the kids. They always loved it.