June 22, 2011

Wednesday's Chow - Frog Eye Salad

My daughter got this recipe from her mother-in-law.  It's a delicious fruit salad. The only problem is it makes a LOT of salad, so it's best for large family gatherings or pot luck suppers/picnics. 

Frog Eye Salad

Warning – Makes a LOT of salad.

Boil 1 lb. Acine de Pepe pasta (frog eye) in 3 quarts of water for 8 mins; drain.

In a small sauce pan combine:

1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp flour

Then add

2 cups pineapple juice
2 beaten eggs

Cook until thick. Remove from heat and add:

1 cup coconut
1 cup mini-marshmallows
1-20 oz can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
1-20 oz can pineapple tidbits (do not drain)
3 small cans mandarin oranges (drain these)

Mix well, then fold in:

1-14 oz tub Whipped Topping

Chill at least 8 hours.


Anna Kathryn
http://www.aklanier.com/

7 comments:

LuAnn said...

This has always been one of my favorite salads. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Becky said...

This sounds like a good salad. I will have to give this a try next time I go to a family gathering.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Hi, LuAnn and Becky. Thanks for stopping by!

Maeve Greyson said...

My granddaughter would LOVE this...especially because of the name. ;-)

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Hi, Maeve. Yes, the kids do like the salad and the name!

Mary Preston said...

Frog Eye Salad - the name would scare off my family.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

J.D. Faver said...

Eeeeuwwww!!! Horrible title, but the recipe sounds delish. You haven't steered me wrong yet, Anna Kathryn. I'll have to try it.
*hugs*
~June