July 6, 2011

Wednesday's Chow - Buttermilk Pie

I've had this recipe for over 20 years, but I lost it at one point for sevral. I forget where I found it again, stuck in some book somewhere. It's a family favorite.  Use two regular pie crusts for two pies and a deep-dish crust for just one pie.

Buttermilk Pie

Ingredients:
1 cup buttermilk, divided
3 rounded tbsp. flour
3 eggs, beaten
3 cups sugar
½ cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
Dash of nutmeg

1 9-inch deep dish pie crust or 2 regular pie crusts

Directions: 

Preheat oven 350°.  Blend flour with ½ cup buttermilk.  Set aside. 

Mix eggs, sugar and melted butter. Blend well.  Add remaining ½ cup of buttermilk and vanilla. Add dash of nutmeg.  Blend mixture with flour mixture.  Pour into pie shell(s). 

Bake one hour or until knife comes out clean.

12 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I wonder if this would work with rice flour - my daughter has a Gluten intolerance?

Becky said...

I will have to give this a try. I had buttermilk pie only once and always wondered how to make it.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Mary, I've never made it with rice flour, or anything for that matter, so I don't know how different it is. But this is such an easy recipe and fairly low-cost to make, I'd give it try. If it tastes terrible, toss it. You wouldn't have spent too much time or money on it.

Becky, I don't recall where I got the recipe, just that I've had it 20+ plus years. It's really good, very sweet, so beware!

Caroline Clemmons said...

Anna Kathryn, this was my dad's favorite pie.

Sandy L. Rowland said...

I have gluten intolerance and rice flour should work, but if she's worried about it setting, add another egg yolk, and it should be fine.
I love to cook and this sounds like a keeper.

Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Anna, this looks great, but I didn't see how much sugar to add...am I missing that???

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Oops, how did I miss the sugar? I'll correct it, but for those who looked already, it's 3 cups!

Nancy Kay Bowden said...

I am going to try this recipe! Yum! I've only had buttermilk pie once and it was the best pie I've ever had. It was from Royers in Round Top. Mr. Royer's pies are so awesome he was interviewed by CBS' Sunday Morning!

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Nancy, when we go to my in-laws in Alexandria, LA, we like to go to Lea's Lunchroom in Lecompte and get some pies. Lea was on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson decades ago. I love his peach pies, but I saw they have buttermilk, too.

shurlyn said...

Anna, what does flour normally refer to? Is it plain flour? Is plain flour same as all purpose flour?

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Shurlyn, I just use all-purpose flour. If you have 'self-rising' I don't think it would hurt to use it.

shurlyn said...

Thank you Anna. I'll have a try. Have a nice day ahead ^^