February 9, 2010

Wednesday's Chow - Green Beans with New Potatoes

Okay, I admit it....I've lived in the south for nearly two decades and I never learned how to make green beans and potatoes. But I recently came across this recipe and tried it. My whole family loves it. This is a delicious side dish to any meal.


Green Beans with New Potatoes

Ingredients
6 slices of bacon, cut into pieces
3 tbls butter
1/2 to 1 cup red onion, chopped
2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped
1 large clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp pepper
8 small new potatoes, diced
1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar

Directions

Cook bacon in skillet over medium heat until browned. Remove bacon and set aside.

Melt butter in bacon drippings and add onion, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add bacon, green beans, garlic, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes. Add potatoes and cook until potatoes are soft, about 10 more minutes. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.











Anna Kathryn Lanier
Where Tumbleweeds Hang Their Hats

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There is nothing like a pot of fresh green beans and new patatoes. I love them. I can't wait until summer so we can have these things, fresh out of a garden.

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

robynl said...

I enjoy green beans so thanks for this recipe.