October 10, 2012

Wednesday's Chow - Raisin Bran Muffins


J. D. Faver treats us with a special recipe from her new cookbook. Thanks for filling for me on such short notice, June!


 
Hi Anna Kathryn. I'm delighted to be able to share a favorite recipe with your readers. It’s one of 56 recipes in my newly released cookbook, A Texan in the Kitchen: Autumn Recipes.   

I worked as a Nutritionist for the Dairy Council for many years and this was one of the recipes I used to demonstrate. The flavor develops as the batter ages. Batter will keep in the refrigerator for up to six weeks.

 


10-ounce box of raisin bran cereal

5 cups flour (can use 2 cups whole wheat)

3 cups sugar

3 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons salt

1 quart buttermilk

1 cup cooking oil

4 eggs, beaten

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Add liquids. Bake in muffin tins 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Batter will keep in refrigerator for up to six weeks. Aging seems to improve the flavor.

 

~*~


My other news is that the third in my series of romantic thrillers, set close to the Mexican border has just been released. BAD VIBES is available on Amazon, as are the first two in the series. In Bad Vibes, Deputy Darla Calhoun arrests a vagrant, hanging around the marina, but after he’s cleaned up, she discovers a hunky, hard-body with a smoldering gaze hidden beneath the filthy rags. He turns out to be a federal agent working undercover. He’s after a gang of human traffickers using the Intracoastal Waterway to bring sex slaves into the United States from Mexico. Rafael assigns Darla as liaison officer to work with the feds, bringing her face-to-face with the “Iceman”, Mike Burke, the undercover agent she arrested. Darla, Mike and his partner tear up and down the Intracoastal Waterway in pursuit of the human traffickers, but when two local women disappear, the search becomes personal.
 
The order of the Series is:
4) Bad Dreams (under construction)
Visit J.D. Faver’s website: http://www.jdfaver.com/    
Follow on Twitter & Facebook

 

14 comments:

E. Ayers said...

Yummy, bran muffins! My favorite. Got to try the recipe. I love that it keeps well. I can't eat a whole batch. LOL This way I can make two at a time and keep the batter.

Rose Anderson said...

Ooh looks easy too! Thanks for sharing. Love the cookbook BTW.
:)
--Rose

Anne Marie Novark said...

I'm going to try the recipe, too.

Congratulations on the new cook book and Bad Vibes!!!

Carol said...

Both books look intriguing, June. Can't wait to read them.
I'll try the Raisin Bran Muffins. My mom will probably love them also! Good luck.

Shawnna said...

Great post guys. Recipe and book both sound yummy! :)

Chicki Brown said...

Gee, everybody's talking about the muffins, but I like the hero's expression on the cover! Hot!

J.D. Faver said...

Thanks so much for the comments. Yes, those muffins are yummy, but my hero, Mike Burke, is even yummier. You can't keep him in the fridge though, because he's too hot.
You can pour the muffin batter out and just make one or two at a time, so perfect for the person on the go.
*hugs*
~J

Anonymous said...

Love your work. Great blog. Keep writing so I can keep reading.

Anonymous said...

Anna, I think that I have actually seen the building and property during my travels. I really like it.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Mary Frances, of my picture? That's too cool. I don't know where it's from. I got it off one of those stock photo places.

J.D. Faver said...

Shhh...I thought you had stood out in a field with your camera to get that picture. I was so impressed.
*hugs*
~J.D.

Regina Duke said...

June, you rock! Love the recipe. :-) Good luck with the book. I'll keep retweeting you!

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

I have a dumb question.....when you say can 2 cups whole wheat, is that in place of the 5 cups white or is that 2 cups ww and 3 cups white?

J.D. Faver said...

Not a dumb question. Let me clarify. You may choose to replace 2 of the 5 cups of white flour with whole wheat. So your recipe will either have five cups of all-purpose flour, OR 3 cups of all-purpose flour stirred with 2 cups of whole wheat flour. With all the raisin bran cereal, these muffins will be brown anyway. :-)
The flavor ripens and the last muffins are the best muffins.
*hugs*