November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day

Today is Veteran's Day in the U.S..  I often ask the students I sub for, why is November 11th Veteran's Day.  It's surprising how many high school children don't know. No matter the subject I'm teaching, I give them a mini lesson. How many of you Americans know why today, November 11th is Veteran's Day?  No peeking below for the answer.

Before the answer though, I want to salute my father, TSGT. R. D. Sager, USAF.  Dad spent 21 years serving and ended his career as a tailgunner in a B-52. He served in Vietnam and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, a high honor for Air Force personal.  Daddy died while living at the Louisiana War Veteran's home on March 29, 2006.   He is buried at Port Hudson National Cemetery in Louisiana.  Buried along side him are soldiers who died during the Civil War Battle of Port Hudson, as well as veterans from every war since.

So, why is today Veteran's Day?  It's the day that World War I ended in 1918. In 1919 President Wilson proclaimed today the first Armistice Day.  Many other countries celebrate today as Armistice Day.  The U. S. Army of Military History has a great article on the history of Veteran's Day. Click HERE to read it.

And no Veteran's Day should go by without listening to The Ballard of the Green Berets.

2 comments:

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~ Elmer Davis

Paty Jager said...

My dad is a Korean Marine Vet and I have a son in the Air Force, a daughter-in-law who just got out of the Air Force, and a son-in-law in the Coast Guard.

Thank you, soldiers past and present!